≡ Menu

Scrivener 3.2 Compile Issue

I’m a big fan of Literature and Latte’s Scrivener product. If I’m writing “for real,” it’s typically in Scrivener, although I think my process there could still use a lot of work. (I use a graduated system for writing, which … now that I think about it, isn’t very efficient for organization or promotional purposes.)

Anyway: Scrivener! If you write, it’s a fantastic product. Highly recommended.

However, they recently put out 3.2, and I ran into a problem with it.

The process in Scrivener is to write a draft (surprise!) and then compile that draft into a final product, which can be in any of a number of formats: Word document, PDF, Mobi, Epub, and so forth and so on.

What was happening is that I could not get it to run that compilation step, at all. I’d select the menu option, the program would… do nothing. It was as if I wasn’t even hitting the menu item.

I reported it to Literature and Latte, and they figured out a workaround: it’s related to a setting for fonts in the compile.xml file.

There are a number of ways you can approach this: my project’s still in early draft mode, so I simply opened the directory that my project was in, went to Settings, and deleted compile.xml. Once that was done, the menu item worked again and I could generate a draft document from my project.

You can also open up compile.xml in a handy text editor, and delete the lines that have <Font> in them. (The error is related to a font lookup, somewhere internally.) I haven’t tried this, because, well, the project I’m working on is in early draft so I don’t need anything special here.

Lastly, you can wait for Literature and Latte to release a new build of Scrivener 3.2. I’m on build 14343, and I expect they’ll suss out this problem quickly and there’ll be a fix out soon.

{ 1 comment… add one }

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    %d bloggers like this: